What is Baptisia?
Baptisia is a small flowering plant that belongs to the legume family. It has purplish-bluish flowers and is native to North America. Native Americans have been using this plant for its medicinal benefits for hundreds of years. Herbalists in Europe have also been using it for hundreds of years to treat various health conditions. The roots of this plant contain several organic compounds that produce positive effects within the human body. The roots were traditionally dried and then powdered to make medicines. These days extracts and pills of this herb can be easily found in health food stores and herbal shops.
Benefits of Baptisia
- It reduces the size of existing gastric ulcers and prevents new ones from forming. This is due to its anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties
- It boosts the immune system which helps the body eliminate pathogens and bacteria. This helps the body fight off infections such as infections of the gums, throat, and mouth
- It helps the body ward off viral infections such as the common cold or infections caused by the influenza virus. This effect is particularly useful for those having a weak immune system
- It is an expectorant which means it helps the body get rid of mucus and phlegm. Since mucus and phlegm are breeding grounds for bacteria, their expulsion from the body helps relieve respiratory illnesses such as bronchitis
- When combined with other herbs such as poke root and cleaver, it can be used to reduce inflammation of the lymph nodes caused by infection
- It can be topically applied to the skin to treat skin conditions such as ulcers, age spots, blemishes, wrinkles, and irritation
- It can be topically applied to painful areas of the body to get pain relief
- It can reduce tumor activity and proliferation according to some studies
- It improves oral health and treats conditions such as gingivitis, bleeding, minor pain, and halitosis
By : Natural Health News